Sunday, June 17, 2007

Day One

iPod playlist: Talib Kweli mix
Running Mileage: 2.2 miles
Total Mileage: 4.75 miles

After approximately two miles of running, I slowed to a walk on this, my first day of marathon training. I happened to pass a mirror leaning up against a building. The angle of the mirror gave me a full view of myself: face beat-red from running in the heat, hair sticking out crazily, sweat sucking my shirt to my skin. And I thought, this is what I will look like almost daily until November.

I am now a member of the new generation of marathon runners that the New York Times recently wrote about. On November 4th I will run the NYC marathon. I will not be winning the race or breaking any records (since I'll have no personal best to beat), but I will be reaching my goal of simply finishing the race. And today was just the beginning.

Total training miles run so far: 2.2

No comments: